Monday, January 14, 2013

Maggi Masala Noodles with Vegetables

If I ever had the power to award a Nobel Food Prize - my first choice would definitely be Maggi. It revolutionized an entire generation's food chain and looking at Little A's passion for instant noodles, it makes me wonder if there has been some genetic inclination to it as well. Whatever it is, for the last two decades, the answer to the following situations has been the same
  • Hungry after school? 
  • Tired after long day at work?
  • Don't feel like cooking?
  • Don't know how to cook?
  • Nothing at home?
MAGGI!. All you need is just 2 glasses of water and a heat source. On the stove, in a rice cooker, in an electric kettle, inside a microwave and in cases of some people I know - straight out of the packet (no, not me. I do have a lot of food fetishes. But I don't eat raw Maggi!)

A lot of people have cautioned me about the bad effects of instant noodles. For even a die-hard Maggi fan - I am sometimes paranoid of feeding it to Little A who adores it (In fact she has designated Friday as "Noodles Day" and takes it for lunch to school and every day asks "is it Friday today)!. But I have had this stuff for almost 2 decades and if nothing has happened so far. So it can't be that bad - right?  

I never knew that each country had its own variation of flavors - so was quite surprised to see Maggi Mee Goreng, Maggie Tom Yum and Maggi Curry Ayam here in Malaysia and of course I didn't like it. I want my Masala and so each time we come back from India - there are always couple of packets in my luggage. I was happy to find a store in Kuala Lumpur that stocked the "Indian Maggi Masala" and grabbed a few. 

A lot of people cook Maggi in different ways. Some cook noodles separately, drain and mix the masala. Some like it plain. Some may eat it plain out of necessity or laziness. Even in our home, I like it with vegetables, my husband likes it with just curry leaves and Little A likes it plain. 

Today's recipe is my favorite version of the 2-minute noodles. You can substitute with any instant noodle brand. 

Maggie Masala with Vegetables


Ingredients:

1 packet Maggi Noodles (I used masala flavor. You can subsitute for any other instant noodles brand).
1/2 onion - finely chopped
1/2 carrot - finely chopped
1/2 capsicum - finely chopped
2-3 green chillies - finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder or sambar powder
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon oil



Method:

1. Heat oil in a deep pan.
2. Add the green chillies and onion and fry well
3. Add the onions and fry. Add the carrot and capsicum and fry well.
4. Add red chilli powder and salt and fry well.
5. Add the tastemaker in the packet and mix well.
6. Add the required quantity of water as mentioned in the packet.
7. Break the noodles and add to the pan.
8. Cook until the noodles are done
9. Serve hot.



Notes:

1. Adjust green chillies and chilly powder according to taste and tolerance
2. You can add garam masala if you like for an Indianized curry taste
3. Add a drop of soy sauce while cooking vegetables for a slightly sour twist. But skip the salt as soy sauce would have salt.
4. Tomatoes also add a slightly sour taste. Add it if you like it.
5. I like to make my noodles slightly "soupy". So I add an extra 1/4 cup of water. If you prefer dry, the cook as per the packet instructions.

P.S - It was quite a task to take the photos without grabbing a couple of fork fulls of the stuff. Darn! I am addicted to it. It took exactly 5 minutes to reach this point.



Note: This is not a paid post.






1 comment:

  1. Hey :D
    Thank you soo much for sharing the recipe~ I'm a 16 year old and when my mom was out, i tried your Special Maggie recipe. It was VERY spicy & delicious :D Just the way I like it.
    Thanks again~

    ReplyDelete

Hi Thanks for visiting Crimson Spice. Do write in your comments / feedback /suggestions.

Happy Cooking :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...